Are you a lover of the American culinary art and would like to reproduce the famous chili con carne at home? Follow this easy recipe to get the most divine taste and please your taste buds.
Origin of chili con carne
Chili con carne, which literally means “chili with meat”, is actually a spicy meat stew invented in Texas, in the southern United States. The best known variant consists only of beef and chili. The Chili con carne recipe has since evolved into several varieties, mixing vegetables, herbs and meats.
The traditional recipe
Chili con carne is easy to make and preparation takes approximately 2 hours. This traditional Chili con carne recipe is for 4 guests. To make it, you will need : 2 onions, 400 g of kidney beans, 500 g of minced beef, 1 pepper, 1 tomato, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of tomato concentrate, 4 tablespoons of oil, 1 pinch of cayenne pepper, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon of cumin, salt, pepper and chilli which you will dose according to your tolerance level.
1) The day before, soak the kidney beans in cold water for 12 hours. The next day, drain the beans, then put them in a casserole filled with cold water and leave them to boil for an hour and a half.
2) Add the minced meat, salt and pepper, mix and stir over a medium heat.
3) Meanwhile, peel the onions and garlic and chop them finely. Wash the pepper, cut it in half, remove the tail and seeds, then slice it into thin strips. Then fry everything in an oiled casserole until translucent (3 to 4 minutes).
4) Whisk the tomato, crush it coarsely and add it to the mixture.
5) Season with the crushed garlic cloves and bay leaf, then pour in the drained beans. Fill the casserole with water up to the height of the beans. Mix in the tomato paste, season with chilli and a large pinch of cayenne pepper and simmer for an hour.
Apart from basic ingredients such as meat and chilli, you can also garnish it with tomatoes, corn, carrots or zucchini for a stronger and thicker consistency. Instead of broth, add a touch of originality by using wine, cold coffee or beer. To reduce the spiciness, increase the sugar dose, or better yet, replace it with honey, chocolate or cocoa.